The student news site of St. Louis School, Milan

Spirit of St. Louis

Spirit of St. Louis

Spirit of St. Louis

Chinese New Year Snacks Sale

Background information: 

Almost every year, right after the Christmas Holidays, the school hosts a Chinese New Year Snacks Sale during break time. This year it was organised by Xiatao Fu (Y13), Tommaso Tansini (Y13), Zining Shen (Y11), Jiawei Ye (Y11) and Alessia Di Giacomo (Y11). 

Every Chinese new year corresponds to one sign of the zodiac. This year is the year of the dragon. In Chinese culture, this represents prosperity, power, and success. 

Chinese new year, also known as Lunar New Year and Spring Festival, is celebrated on the first day of the lunar calendar, which is the traditional Chinese calendar. In China there is a 7 day holiday that is traditionally spent with family, having new year’s dinner together and preparing for the new year alongside doing many traditional activities. 

Traditions: 

Spring festival

A festival lasting the whole 7 day holiday that is dedicated to making wishes for the upcoming year and expressing delight. The use of red during the festival symbolises good luck and happiness. 

Lion Dance

In Chinese culture, a lion dance is performed during the spring festival to summon wealth and good fortune.

Traditional food: 

Dumplings

These have a similar shape to ancient silver and gold pieces. In fact, the tradition is to eat them as if you were “taking in wealth” in order to attract good financial fortune in the new year.

Fish

In China, the fish is a homonym for the word surplus, which is also usually eaten as a manifestation of wealth. 

Here is an overview of the snacks they sold at the fair: